27 hours…

So we were fast approaching my induction date which was set for the 14th, it was terrifying but I was happy to know that the next time I would go to the hospital would be the real deal and my baby would be coming home with me.  Well, baby had other plans!  It was Friday the 13th which also happened to be the night of the stanley cup finals where Scotts favorite team (kings) was playing.  As with every other game we planned on watching it together.  Around 3 pm I felt what I thought was contractions, but they were so weak and so far apart I kind of just ignored them.  Once Scott got home at 6:30 the game was about to begin so I sat my butt down and ate some chicken wings while we watched the game.  It was a very intense game, panic attack worthy you could say.  In the end the kings won, it was an awesome celebration we were stoked on it!  It was around 9 when the game ended, and it was also around 9 my contractions were definitely contractions.  They were still far apart but oh boy I knew that that is what it was.  Everyone always asks me now that I have gone through it “what do contractions feel like” and honestly?  They feel like really strong, sharp period cramps at the beginning.  I was also lucky enough to experience them in my back, so it was like having a pulled lower back muscle, and some period cramps.  At this point they were still 15 minutes apart, but I knew that the baby wanted to come soon, but I wasn’t going to go in yet just to be sent home.  I ended up talking scott into doing the deed to get them really going, no passion just give me your seed boy!  So that’s what happened, they didn’t really pick up so I just told Scott to go to bed and I was going to watch a movie to pass the time, there was no way I was going to be falling asleep.  I think I watched about 3 hells kitchens, and 2 honey boo boos before 2am hit and my timer had them coming at 3-4 minutes and lasting anywhere between 45 seconds to 65 seconds.  I finally sucked it up and knew I had to wake Scott up.  I wake him up and he’s trying to get me to confirm if I know FOR SURE, and hell yes I know for sure, it feels like I am being stabbed from the inside and they really do take your breath away for the full minute, your whole body almost tenses up and you try and just stretch out and buck up through the pain, which really does shit all.  Being us, we decided instead of going straight to the hospital we (aka I) wanted to get snacks and some caffeine from Macs, so we did.  I didn’t go inside because with my luck I would have a strong one and the workers would think I was having a stroke in their store.  So scott runs in and I am just sitting in the car by myself at 2 in the morning fighting through the contractions.  Now once Scott was back we finally headed over to the hospital, it’s only about a 15 minute drive where we live but man did it feel like forever this time.  When we arrived we knew the main hospital would be closed but I was positive there would be a way in instead of going through the emerg, and since I am so brilliant I was correct.  So Scott wheels my ass into the hospital and we head up to the 6th floor.  Once we got in there, I just look at the receptionist blankly and say “I think I am having my baby” she proceeds to ask my if my water broke, which it hadn’t and checked me in for observation.  GREAT, me and Scott both thought as we had already been in this area many times before and we were just not looking forward to it thinking they were just going to send us home again.  All hooked up, they determine that I am in fact in labor but the contractions aren’t strong enough to move me into delivery just yet, I had the option of staying there or going home, and I decided to stay there because who knew if the baby would decide to come out faster and I didn’t want to give birth in the car.  I was super excited when she gave me a morphine shot in my butt, and then she suggested we walked around.  We walked around what seemed like the entire hospital before I felt like I was about to pass out from the morphine, it made me so tired and I could still feel the contractions but they definitely weren’t as painful as before.  We got back to our room and just tried our best to sleep.  I was in and out of sleep and Scott was trying his best to sleep on the crappy chair they offer, I think at one point he even tried to sleep on the floor which probably didn’t work out too well.  So 12 hours go by, my labor was starting to progress more and more, but they were having difficulties being able to track babies movement so that was when they decided to bring me to a delivery room.  So it’s 2 pm, 12 hours after we got there and we are finally being transferred to a better room with an actual laz-e-boy for scott to sit in, it was glorious.  Once I was all hooked up to the machines they told me that since they are having difficulty finding a good heartrate they wanted me to stay in the bed instead of trying to walk around or take a shower (which they initially suggested) after many dropped heartrates from the baby the nurse and doctor decided to put a internal monitor inside me which I guess went on the babies head to monitor the heartrate that way, so if she decided to move around we’d still have an idea on her stats.  My mom ended up showing up around 5 pm after not hearing from us forever, thanks to the wonderful cell reception in the hospital.  This is when my contractions really, really started to kick in so I was now 7cm dilated and completely soft so I decided time for the epidural.  Now that my friends is a miracle drug, oh boy oh boy.  I can’t tell you how much that made my labor just that much better.  For some reason growing up the thought of the epidural which is a long needle going into your spine, always freaked me out much much more than labor.  It wasn’t as painful as I thought, they numb you and then put it in so I never felt more than just a pinch.  It took about 20 minutes for the epidural to start working and once it did, like I said it was glorious.  You could still feel the sensation of every contraction but without the pain.  Took about another 2 hours until I was 9 cm dilated so it was about 8:15 at this point and the contractions were still really strong, and so since I told the anesthesiologist who gave me my epi to only give me a half dose he was able to come back and give me the other half, with the warning that my bottom half might just go numb.  Which it did.  Oh did it ever.  Right after this is when everything just started to get scary, the babies heartrate kept dipping really low enough to set the monitors alarms off, my Doctor came in and told me that they think the baby might be distressed and that it’s a possibility I will be needing a C-section so she went off to find the OB.  Once the OB came she told me she wanted to still try to deliver vaginally but it would have to be an assisted delivery instead.  I was completely fine with trying the assisted delivery to try and avoid a c-section.  They both told me that my baby had her head turned a little weird, and that they believed her cord was wrapped around her neck which was causing the heart rate to go down.  Obviously this terrified me.  The OB told me that there were two types of assisted deliveries she could do, first was the vacuum which is literally what it sounds like, it’s a giant suction that attaches onto the babies head.  Second was the forceps which are like giant metal tongs and help grab baby.  I was all for the suction because I have unfortunately read horror stories regarding forceps, but unfortunately they went with the forceps.  Now this is where everything is almost a blur because all of a sudden her heartrate just dropped, now they have a back up baby team incase they need to take her to the NICU, they have others in there incase they need to take us in for a c-section all while my mom and scott are standing at the head of the bed looking just as terrified as I am.  The nurse throws the oxygen mask on me, and they try to get me to go on all fours, but due to the medication from earlier I was completely numb from the waist down so it was next to impossible.  They realized there was no point and they just told me to get back on my back, and they had my legs put up and all of a sudden they are telling me at my next contraction to just push with all my might.  At this point when I am pushing it really, truly does feel like you’re about to just poop your pants.  I was positive thats what it was, but I remember reading that nope, that’s the baby!  My pushing wasn’t doing much because of the way she was still positioned, but after a couple more really, really hard pushes the OB was finally able to get the forceps in and the babies head was out!  I was so excited, I could feel the horrible pressure though of this baby now, and there really was that burning ring of fire that moms warned me about.  Now after one more big push she was out!  Immediately the OB confirmed that yes she had the cord double wrapped around her neck, and she had to cut it and then passed her off to the nurses standing by.  She didn’t even cry right away, she was definitely alert but no tears!  Once she got cleaned up, I was just traumatized and let Scott hold her first, I didn’t want my first memory of holding her while I was still in this situation.  After she was out they now had to deliver the placenta, which I was warned from other moms that this was a horrible feeling, but for me it was nothing!  I am not sure if it was because the forceps made the delivery seem a lot more painful or if it was my adrenaline rushing through me.  Now, at this point my Doctors were able to confirm she was perfectly fine and she’s healthy, but during delivery I had second degree tearing, so they spent about 30 minutes stitching me up down there, I even asked how many stitches out of morbid curiosity but they told me they lost count, I was a little sad.  Once they finished stitching me up I just wanted to hold my baby!  27 hours led to perfection, and Olivia Marie was born at 9:10 pm, on June 14th, weighing 6 pounds & 6 ounces.   So much love for this girl.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s